Episode 28: Pieter Jordaan
About this episode
Joining Mik in this episode of Mik + One is Pieter Jordaan, Group CTO at TUI, the world’s leading integrated tourism group operating in more than a hundred destinations worldwide.
In this episode, Mik and Pieter discuss Pieter’s contribution to TUI’s successful transformation to cloud and product value streams, as well as other key discussion points including:
- Pieter’s background and how he came to work for TUI, where the company was when he met Mik and the kind of business they were doing at that time
- How Pieter approached the transformation to consolidate the company’s different organization structures, operating models and IT systems
- The importance of visibility and choosing the right technology platform to provide a modern operating model for the entire business
- How the pandemic changed travel and made TUI look at massive cost savings and readopt a startup day mentality to continue their digital transformation journey
- Convincing leadership to buy into this transformation and everyone at the company to shift
- The critical process of allowing people to make mistakes and why managing risks shouldn’t be the first starting position
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
Follow Mik on Twitter: @mik_kersten #MikPlusOne www.tasktop.com
- Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework by Dr. Mik Kersten
- Understanding Flow Metrics in Software Delivery
- AWS re:Invent 2020 – Keynote with Andy Jassy
- Mik + One Podcast: Adrian Cockcroft
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace and Edwin Catmull
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.
About Pieter Jordaan
As CTO, Pieter oversees TUI’s Global Technology Transformation program, overall architecture and strategy for global platforms.
Pieter has over 20 years experience in providing expertise and leadership for top companies across various sectors. Prior to TUI Pieter worked for JD Wetherspoon, Channel 4 TV, Bank of New York Mellon, Barclays, Halifax, NatWest, Tesco and the Royal Bank of Scotland.
With a passion for technology in education and transforming the education system to produce the leaders of the future, Pieter specialises in digital and cloud transformation of large enterprises, taking them from traditional IT models to modern project based, agile companies. As a technology leader, Pieter constantly innovates and looks for transformative application for technology in the enterprise and society.