Episode 9: Jon Smart
About this episode
Recorded at the annual 2019 SEACON Conference in London, Mik’s plus one is Jon Smart, Partner, Business Agility at Deloitte.
In this episode of Mik + One, Mik and Jon discuss:
- The value and importance of focusing on “Better Value, Sooner, Safer, Happier” and why Agile is no longer the answer
- The importance of senior leaders implementing a mindset shift and focusing on outcomes instead of output
- Why leaders should be looking at the end-to-end flow, how it impacts business results and the need to identify what they are optimizing for and what they want to optimize for
- Employee incentivisation and implementing recognition and rewards for motivating teams – not individuals – to reduce silos across the value stream
- The introduction of Flow Metrics on the product value stream
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Sooner Safer Happier: Antipatterns and Patterns for Business Agility by Jon Smart
- 2019 State of DevOps Report
- Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital: The Dynamics of Bubbles and Golden Ages by Carlota Perez
- Mik + One Podcast: Carlota Perez
- Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World by General Stanley McChrystal
- Jonathan Smart – Medium
About Jon Smart
Jon leads Deloitte’s Enterprise Agility practice, helping organisations to deliver Better Value Sooner Safer Happier, through the application of agile, lean and DevOps principles and practices, organisation-wide.
Previously, Jon was leading on Ways of Working globally across Barclays Bank, which is 328 years old, with 80,000 colleagues in 40 countries. After three years, teams are on average delivering three times as much in a third of the time with 23x fewer production incidents and the highest ever employee engagement scores.
Jon has 25 years’ experience of taking and leading an agile approach to change. He and his team is the winner in the category of “Best Internal Agile Team” at the Agile Awards 2016.
Jon is the founder of the Enterprise Agility Leaders Network, is a board member of the SD Agile Learning Consortium, is a member of the Disciplined Agile advisory council, a member of the Business Agility Institute advisory council, a member of the Programming Committee for the DevOps Enterprise Summit, a guest speaker at London Business School and talks at 6-7 conferences a year.