Episode 31: Gene Kim
About this episode
In this episode of Mik + One, Mik sits down with Gene Kim, best-selling author of The Phoenix Project and The Unicorn Project, as well as co-author of The DevOps Handbook.
In this episode, Gene chats to Mik about the next book that he’s working on, and provides many insights into:
- The journey of the Unicorn Project, the effect it had on technology leaders and how it changed their perspectives
- A deeper look into the importance of Psychological safety and how this links to an organization’s structure and dynamics
- Successful communication paths within an organization in order to improve culture, maximize flow and see successful results, faster
- The properties and prerequisites of high performing, dynamic learning organizations and advice to help teams become one
- The effective patterns that leadership can adopt to enable an effective communication architecture and organizational structure in order to maximize flow faster and more efficiently
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
Tasktop are proud sponsors of the virtual DevOps Enterprise Summit Europe, taking place on May 18th-20th, 2021. Visit us virtually at our virtual booth, and don’t miss our speaking sessions, live demos, happy hours, giveaways and more. We have limited passes at 50% off the full ticket price for the first 100 people who use our special discount code. If you would like to claim one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mik + One Podcast: Gene Kim (Part 1)
- Mik + One Podcast: Gene Kim (Part 2)
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win by Gene Kim, Kevin Behr and George Spafford
- The Unicorn Project: A Novel about Developers, Digital Disruption, and Thriving in the Age of Data by Gene Kim
- Decoding the DNA of the Toyota Production System by Steven Spear and H. Kent Bowen
- Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World by General Stanley McChrystal with Tantum Collins, David Silverman and Chris Fussell
- Mik + One Podcast: Carlota Perez
- On A Mission: Nationwide Building Society Presentation by Patrick Eltridge and Janet Chapman
- Organizational Learning And Competitiveness: Revisiting The “Allspaw/Hammond 10 Deploys Per Day At Flickr” Story by Gene Kim
- Sidewinder: Creative Missile Development at China Lake by Ron Westrum
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things by Ben Horowitz
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.
About Gene Kim
Gene Kim is a Wall Street Journal bestselling author, researcher, and multiple award-winning CTO. He has been studying high-performing technology organizations since 1999 and was the founder and CTO of Tripwire for 13 years.
He is the author of six books, The Unicorn Project (2019), and co-author of the Shingo Publication Award winning Accelerate (2018), The DevOps Handbook (2016), and The Phoenix Project (2013). Since 2014, he has been the founder and organizer of DevOps Enterprise Summit, studying the technology transformations of large, complex organizations.
In 2007, ComputerWorld added Gene to the “40 Innovative IT People to Watch Under the Age of 40” list, and he was named a Computer Science Outstanding Alumnus by Purdue University for achievement and leadership in the profession. He lives in Portland, OR, with his wife and family.