Episode 7: Dave West
About this episode
In the seventh episode of Mik + One, the official Project to Product podcast, Mik’s guest is Dave West, CEO and Product Owner of Scrum.org.
In this episode, Mik and Dave discuss:
- The digital age and how traditional enterprises can transform to become software-driven businesses
- The risk of falling into an industrial mindset trap, and what organizations can do differently to avoid failures
- How digital-natives have achieved the innovation cycle and why leadership at traditional enterprises have not internalized what it means
- The importance of placing small bets and MVPs, and applying continuous learning and feedback into the innovation cycle
- The four key things that large organizations can act on now to deliver value:
– Create alignment
– Become people-centric
– Fund correctly
– Measure appropriately
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast to never miss an episode
About Dave West
Dave West is the Product Owner and CEO at scrum.org. In this capacity, he engages with partners, and the community to drive scrum.org’s strategy and the overall market position of Scrum.
Prior to joining the Ken Schwaber and the team at Scrum.org he was Chief Product Officer at Tasktop where he was responsible for product management, engineering and architecture. As a member of the company’s executive management team was also instrumental in growing Tasktop from a services business into a VC backed product business with a team of almost 100.
As one of the foremost industry experts on software development and deployment, West has helped advance many modern software development processes, including the Unified process and Agile methods. He is a frequent keynote at major industry conferences and is a widely published author of articles and research reports. He also is the co-author of two books, The Nexus Framework For Scaling Scrum and Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design. He led the development of the Rational Unified Process (RUP) for IBM/Rational.
After IBM/Rational, West returned to consulting and managed Ivar Jacobson Consulting for North America. Then he served as vice president, research director at Forrester Research, where he worked with leading IT organizations and solutions providers to define, drive and advance Agile-based methodology and tool breakthroughs in the enterprise.