Episode 43: Darrell Fernandes
About this episode
In this episode of Mik + One, Mik is joined by Darrell Fernandes, Head of Product Technology at TIAA, a Fortune 100 financial services organization that is the leading provider of financial services in the academic, research, medical, cultural and governmental fields.
In this episode, Mik and Darrell discuss themes around driving organizational improvement and customer value, as well as other topics including:
- The five key accountabilities that all IT product managers should consider when thinking about how an IT product fits within the market
- Insights into successfully building out Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) that align with the business outcomes and deliver customer value
- Organizing cross-functional Agile Release Trains (ARTs) as capabilities and guidance for building them into the business and technology roadmap
- Operationalizing at a business level and advice on educating leadership and business counterparts when getting buy-in
- Recognizing success and building incentives that strengthen how the teams operate to become more innovative, efficient and value-focused
- Advice on how to approach and introduce Flow within the organization to deliver greater business value
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Mik + One Podcast: Dean Leffingwell (Part 1)
- Mik + One Podcast: Dean Leffingwell (Part 2)
- Mik + One Podcast: Dave West
- Mik + One Podcast: Justin Watts
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.
About Darrell Fernandes
Darrell is the Head of Product Technology at TIAA. In this role he oversees the strategic design, delivery and implementation of adaptive, personalized financial solutions for TIAA’s customers and associates.
As the Head of Product Technology, Darrell successfully initiated an IT Product Model, focused on creating sustainable outcomes across all business platforms and establishing engineering as a foundational discipline for TIAA technologists. The solutions created by Product Technology enable simple and intuitive client experiences for our 16,000 institutions, more than 4 million plan participants, retail customers and internal associates.
Darrell’s success driving innovation and leading digital transformations have enabled individual business lines to self-fund market-differentiating capabilities through efficiency gains across financial services and retirement industries.