Episode 41: Paul Littlefair & BMK Lakshminarayanan
About this episode
To kick off the first episode of 2022, Mik is joined by two guests from Bank of New Zealand: Paul Littlefair, Chief Technology Officer, and BMK Lakshminarayanan, Value Stream Architect.
In this episode, Mik, Paul and BMK delve into how Bank of New Zealand has been applying the shift from Project to Product and Flow Metrics, and other key topics including:
- Insight into how Bank of New Zealand’s transformation journey started, and the goals they first set out to achieve
- The importance of investing in continuous improvement, and rewarding for improvement and not just output
- Getting leadership buy-in, and why reporting the developer experience at the board level is crucial to enabling flow and visibility
- Introducing education around flow at all levels to create continuous learning across the organization, and insight into how Bank of New Zealand has executed this
- How tenacity, pivoting and starting today has brought a large enterprise organization like Bank of New Zealand on a great trajectory to getting things deployed, and how they’ve adapted their learnings at scale
Subscribe to the Mik + One podcast today so you never miss an episode and don’t forget to leave your review.
- Banking on Flow Metrics: Bank of New Zealand Transformation Journey – DevOps Enterprise Summit 2021 presentation
- Introducing the Value Stream Architect by Dr. Mik Kersten
- Rowing in the Same Direction: Use Value Streams to Align Work by Dominica DeGrandis
- IT Revolution: The Project to Product Transformation
- Mik + One Podcast: Sally Elatta (Episode 39)
- Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & Flow by Dominica DeGrandis
To download the transcript for this episode, click here.
Paul Littlefair is an award-winning CIO, a highly successful transformational leader in leading and transforming complex Technology units within an Enterprise.
His mantra for a high-performing unit is simple: focus on improving flow and value delivery; He is a servant leader who believes in leaders to “empower people and give them the capability and appetite to be curious, take risks, experiment, and bring their best every day”.
As CTO, he is redefining how technology functions and bringing the Tech & Business together to achieve BNZ’s goals – digital-first and human when it matters & enabling technology to deliver customer outcomes.
BMK Lakshminarayanan is an inspiring and passionate DevOps Advocate and Value Stream Architect promoting DevOps, Lean and Value Stream Management principles & practices.
He also serves as New Zealand ambassador for the Cloud-Native Computing Foundation(CNCF), DevOps Institute and Continuous Delivery Foundation(CDF), and a Board Advisor for the Value Stream Management consortium(VSMC).